Inclusive Cycling at Wheels for All
The Wheels for All initiative is a nationally recognised programme that provides fun cycling sessions for children and adults with disabilities and differing needs. The programmes use specially adapted cycles and have specially trained volunteer leaders, enabling all participants to enjoy the physical and mental health benefits of cycling.
Most sessions are held on dedicated cycling or athletics tracks, or on tarmac paths in parkland so that the surface is smooth and relatively flat. The centres have a range of adapted cycles which might include:
- Tricycles – these have three wheels so that the rider does not need to balance. They may have an upright or horizontal (recumbent) seating position.
- Hand cycles – as the name suggest instead of foot pedals these have handles that can be rotated to power the bike as well as steering. Most hand cycles will have three or four wheels and can also have upright or recumbent seating positions.
- Tandems – tandems are made for two people to ride together. They can either be one behind the other, or side by side. Tandems are particularly useful for visual impairment or if there is a need to assist with pedalling or steering. Wheelchair tandems are also available enabling one rider to remain seated in their wheelchair.
Details of the sessions available in, or just outside Surrey can be found below:
Wheels for All Woking: £5 for 45 minute session.
- Tuesdays 10am-2pm.
- Woking Sportsbox, Egley Road, Woking, GU22 0AF
Wheels for All Epsom: £5 for 45 minute session
- Thursday 10am-3pm.
- Epsom and Ewell Harriers Centre, King George Fields, Epsom, KT19 9RY.
Ecolocal Sutton: £5 per session
- Monday, Wednesday and Thursday 10am-12 noon.
- David Weir Leisure Centre, Middleton Road, Carshalton, SM5 1SL.
Wheels for Wellbeing Croydon: £5 per 45 minute session.
- Tuesday and Saturday 10am-12 noon.
- Croydon Sports Arena, Albert Road, South Norwood, SE25 4QL
Wheels for All Crawley: £5 per 45 minute session.
- Friday 10.30am-12 noon. Saturday 10am-12 noon.
- The Inclusive BMX track, Cherry Lane, Langley Green, Crawley, RH11 7NX
For the above sessions you will need to book a place and complete a registration form before attending the first session. If you would like more information or help with registering, please contact Katy:
Phone or SMS text: 07434 865062