Welcome to the weekly email update. This update includes:
- Coalition Update
- Social/Peer Support Coming Up
- Surrey Heartlands Green Social prescribing programme
- Epsom and St Helier People’s Panel
- Places available for Headway Surrey’s Carer’s Survival Toolkit Course
- You care, we care – Unpaid carers in Surrey can get a free health check
- Fraud Newsletter – January 2022
- Spelthorne Borough Installation update
Living with Long Covid
The Office of National Statistics (ONS) have released figures that suggest that around 2% of the UK population are living with Long Covid. You can read the ONS report here: Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the UK – Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk). The ONS report suggests that people who are Disabled or living with a long term health condition are disproportionately affected by long covid.
One of our members shared her experiences of living with Long Covid with us late last year, you can read the blog here: blog post – living with Long Covid
We would really like to know how Long Covid has affected you, and how you have been supported, so that we can share this anonymously with service providers and commissioners to raise awareness and improve local support and services.
Share your experiences of living with Long Covid anonymously here: Long Covid feedback
If you are willing for us to record a video of your experiences with you (via zoom) then please do get in touch with us!
You can learn more about what Long Covid is, and tools that might support your recovery, on the NHS Your Covid Recovery website here: Long COVID | Your COVID Recovery
Direct Payments Survey – A final reminder to please help us by completing the Direct Payments Survey. We would love to hear from those who do receive Direct Payments as well as those who do. If you haven’t done so already please take five minute to complete the survey. If you need support to complete it, please contact Yasmin on Yasmin.Broome@surreycoalition.org.uk or phone/text 07455267424
Here is the link to the online survey Direct Payments Survey
2. Social/Peer support Coming Up
Get More Active Update
Para Dance UK are proud to be partnering with This Girl Can and will be launching #ThisGirlCanDance sessions starting week commencing 17th of January 2022. The sessions are on zoom and are FREE! See the attached sheet for information and how to register or click here This Girl Can – Paradance
Thomas Pocklington Trust is calling on sports and leisure providers to #MakeSportAccessible and they have just launched a FREE training portal with UK Coaching to help sports and leisure operators make their facilities inclusive. Inclusive Facilities – Supporting People with a Visual Impairment – UK Coaching
Knowing a leisure provider understands their needs helps increase a visually impaired person’s confidence and makes them more likely to choose that place to do exercise. The Trust is asking Leisure Operators to encourage all their staff – from the front desk to their personal trainers – to take a look at the new free training. Please help them to spread the word. Share this with your local gym or sports centre.
Sport in Mind sessions have restarted for January 2022. The charity uses sport and physical activity to improve the lives of people experiencing mental ill health and offer sessions in Guildford and Farnham. All the projects are:
- Can be accessed via self-referral and are open to anyone 17+ experiencing a mental health problem with no need to ‘prove’ their problem.
- Open to any ability and no requirement to have previous experience
- Run by local qualified instructors with all equipment provided.
- Run every week in the same place at the same time in locations that are easily accessible by public transport.
- Focus on fun over competition.
See the attached flyer for the timetable of events.
Join us for more chat on how to Get More Active in the virtual café at 11.30am on Friday here
3. Surrey Heartlands Green Social prescribing programme – The following link is for the engagement platform for the Surrey Heartlands Green Social prescribing programme and is the place to go to find out what is happening with the programme, to get involved and complete a survey. surreygsp.commonplace.is/
4. Epsom and St Helier People’s Panel – Epsom and St Helier have recently launched a People’s Panel. This platform will be used to share news about Building Your Future Hospitals programme, improving communications with patients, amongst other things. You can read more about it and join the panel via the link below.
5. Places available for Headway Surrey’s Carer’s Survival Toolkit Course – Headway Surrey have a few spaces left on their next course starting Monday please see the attached posted for more details
6. You care, we care Unpaid carers in Surrey can get a free health check – Unpaid carers in Surrey are being invited for a free NHS Health Check, giving them the time and opportunity to discuss their own health and wellbeing needs.
Carers can be caring for a huge variety of reasons – as parents, spouses, siblings and also as wider family and friends. You can be caring for someone all their life, or only just become, or indeed realise that you are a carer. We know that unpaid carers are over twice as likely to experience poor health as non-carers. The strain associated with caring can be damaging to carers’ physical and mental health. This new Carers Health Check service will help prevent more carers becoming unwell.
What is an NHS Carers Health Check?
A 30-minute telephone Carers Health Check will give carers the opportunity to talk the One You Surrey Team who are trained to deliver health checks and provide expert guidance to help those accessing their services to improve areas of their health and wellbeing. This includes smoking, diet, weight, alcohol consumption, physical activity levels, mental wellbeing, in addition to discussing any financial support requirements. At the end of each appointment you will be signposted to the best possible local services in order to help you achieve your personal goals.
How to book a Carers Health Check?
Up to 900 unpaid carers in Surrey can book an MOT via the One You Surrey website. Any unpaid carer who is already registered with Action for Carers can ask to be referred for a Health Check. If you are not already registered with Action for Carers, you can get in touch with the friendly helpline team on 0303 040 1234 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for a referral.
For more information, visit the Action for Carers website.
7. Fraud Newsletter January 2022 – Please find attached the fraud newsletter for January, which this month is a special edition on romance fraud.
8. Spelthorne Borough Installation update – Please see attached document