Welcome to the weekly update. This edition includes:
- Coalition Update
- Social/Peer Support coming up
- Tapestry Day Club
- Surrey Wide Creative Hope Project
- Voluntary Action South West Surrey (VASWS)
- Disability Football Taster Session at the YMCA
- Pop-up charity shop for Dementia awareness week
- Plans for new homes on the site of the former Horley Library
- Runnymede Borough Installation Update
- Spelthorne Borough Installation Update
If you prefer to listen to a recording of the weekly update, please click on the link below:
1. Coalition Update
Disability Empowerment Network (DENS) meetings – Just a reminder that the DENS meetings started last Monday. This week we have the Surrey wide DENS on Monday evening at 6pm on Zoom. Three Surrey County Councillors will be speaking to the group about the barriers Disabled people face when standing for election as County Councillors. All are welcome to attend. Please contact the Involvement Team for the joining link. Involvement@surreycoalition.org.uk
On Wednesday we will hold our first hybrid meeting. Members of the South West DEN will meet in person and online. We will let you know how we get on!
2. Social/Peer Support coming up
Glee Club – Last week the group enjoyed sharing their favourite songs from film or TV. There was such a great variety of songs to listen to. This week’s theme is silly songs that make you want to join in! Glee Club takes place on Tuesdays at 4pm Join Glee Club
Get More Active Update – Mole Valley Bowmen are taking part in Archery GB’s Start Archery Week by running a free archery taster session in Dorking.
Where: St Martin’s C of E Primary School, Dorking
When: 21st May 3-5pm
Cost: Free. Equipment is provided.
The archery will take place on the school playing field on grass. There is step free access from the car park to the field. Lightweight beginners recurve bows will be available. Pre-booking is required via the website
If you have any questions or require further information, please email email@example.com
Join us in the virtual café this Friday at 11.30am for more Get More Active chat. Friday Virtual Cafe
3. Tapestry Day Club – The Tapestry Day Club supports people living with early stage dementia, offering a stimulating and engaging day in the family homes of their hosts. The day also provides valuable respite to their carers. Additional funding has enabled the tapestry day club to discount the day rate to £40 for approximately a 5 hour day with an additional £10 if transport is required.
Tapestry Day Club is a not-for-profit social enterprise and offering unique social day support across both Surrey and West Sussex. If you know anyone who could benefit from a regular, social, and engaging day out, please visit the website (www.tapestrydayclub.co.uk/a-day-with-tdc/). They have two wonderful hosts joining the team around Haslemere and Hindhead in support of guests from Farnham and south of Haslemere and all the villages and towns in between.
Or perhaps you would like to join their energetic, committed & well remunerated team of hosts? If you have a day a week and would like to support the older people in your community, please get in contact – www.tapestrydayclub.co.uk/work-with-us/
4. Surrey Wide Creative Hope Project – Public Health at Surrey County Council are going to be running an exciting project across the county – it will be based on the theme of ‘Hope’ and is for anyone that wants to get involved.
This project is for anyone living in Surrey aged 18 years old or above, either as a group or an individual. There is also the possibility for 16-18 year olds, who are already in groups run by local organisations, to take part too.
Surrey Public Health would like to find out what kind of activities you’d be interested in, and they will pull these ideas together to create inspiring experiences where you can express what HOPE means to you, whilst connecting with others, and maybe trying something new. Hope Project Questionnaire – Surrey County Council – Citizen Space (surreysays.co.uk)
5. Voluntary Action South West Surrey (VASWS) – VASWS are looking for a Community Development Worker who will work closely with a wide range of partners to support local people in addressing the population needs across the boroughs of Guildford and Waverley, with particular attention given to the Park Barn, Westborough and Stoke areas of Guildford. Community Development Worker – Voluntary Action South West Surrey (voluntaryactionsws.org.uk)
If you know of anyone who may be interested in applying for the role, please can you ask them to follow the link above to complete the application form. The closing date is the 29th May.
6. Disability Football Taster Session at the YMCA – YMCA East Surrey are partnering up with the FA to offer a pan disability football taster session for those aged 16+ years on Thursday 19th May at YMCA East Surrey. The session will take place from 10.30-11.30 at a cost of £3.30. Players do not need previous experience; all abilities are welcome.
7. Pop-up charity shop for Dementia awareness week – Please see the attached flyer for more details.
8. Plans for new homes on the site of the former Horley Library – Please see the attached consultation leaflet for more details.
9. Runnymede Borough Installation Update – Please see attached document.
10. Spelthorne Borough Installation Update – Please see attached document.