19th May 2022
After a tip off from Coalition member Richard, Katy and Angie visited Addlestone Victory Park Bowls Club this week to find out more about the club and their upcoming Open Day. Thank you Richard! Read all about local legend Barrie de Suys and the exciting changes that have been happening at the club in the attached article or on our website.
UK Deaf Sport, the National Disability Sports Organisation for people who are deaf and hard of hearing, have released a series of resources and tips for how to be inclusive during sport and physical activity. The aim is to help providers meet the communication needs of a deaf participant, and includes deaf peoples shared experiences in sport, their advice in communicating with a deaf person, sport specific resources and some useful signs. You can find the resources here: How to be accessible – UK Deaf Sport
Sport in Mind are starting FREE Badminton and Table Tennis sessions on the 27th May at the YMCA in Redhill. The sessions are drop-in with no need to book and are for anyone experiencing mental health problems.
Activity: Badminton/Table Tennis
Time: 1pm to 2pm
Location: ISF Sports Hall at YMCA East Surrey, Princes Road, Redhill, RH1 6JJ
12th May 2022
Mole Valley Bowmen are taking part in Archery GB’s Start Archery Week by running a free archery taster session in Dorking.
Where: St Martin’s C of E Primary School, Dorking
When: 21st May 3-5pm
Cost: Free. Equipment is provided.
The archery will take place on the school playing field on grass. There is step free access from the car park to the field. Lightweight beginners recurve bows will be available. Pre-booking is required via the website
If you have any questions or require further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Join us in the virtual café this Friday at 11.30am for more Get More Active chat. Friday Virtual Cafe
28th April 2022
Next Saturday, the 7th May is the second of our Get More Active Monthly Events at Nonsuch parkrun. Please see the attached flier for information. If you have any questions or would like to get involved, please contact Katy by phone or SMS text on 07434865062 or by email at email@example.com
Free, virtual, inclusive dance sessions:
In association with LimbPower and Sport England, Paradance UK are running free, weekly online sessions until the end of May and they would love you to join them. Whatever style of dance and music you enjoy the inclusive dance sessions have something for everyone. You do not need to be an experienced dancer to take part and can take part seated or standing. The dance sessions are all about fun and celebrating that everyone can dance.
20th April 2022
Spelthorne Borough Council have announced they are opening 10 new outdoor gyms across the borough in April and May. You can read about it on their website here: New outdoor gyms – SBC.
Outdoor gyms are free and they are great way to add a little bit of physical activity into your day. Our guide to using an outdoor gym can be found on our website here: Activity Guides – Surrey Coalition of Disabled People
Don’t just take our word for it – In this blog article from last year, Surrey Coalition Member Richard Gosling tells us why he’s a regular at his local outdoor gym and you can find out where your nearest gym is: Outdoor Gyms – the free, local way to build a bit of activity into your day! « Surrey Coalition of Disabled People
Kew Gardens are holding a series of free accessible walking tours:
- Dementia Friendly Health Walk. Monday 9th May 11am-12pm. A relaxing and accessible walk for people living with dementia, their friends, family and support workers. Book at the welcome tent near Victoria Gate.
- Wellbeing walk. Tuesday 10th May 12-1pm. A walk and talk around the beautiful gardens. Suitable for all ages, particularly those with disabilities or health conditions. Book at the welcome tent near Victoria Gate.
- British Sign Langauge tour. Tuesday 10th May 2.30-3.30pm. A fascinating tour of the gardens with BSL interpretation for people who are deaf or hard of hearing. Pre-booking required. To book email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sensory tours – Wednesday 11th May 10.30-11.30am. A guided sensory tour for people with sight loss and their carers giving you the chance to touch and smell elements in the garden. Please attend with any essential carer or support who will also receive free entry. Places are limited and Pre-registering is essential. Please register by emailing email@example.com or phoning 07341 114533
Are you interested in working in the sports and leisure sector? Aspire EmployAbility have produce free guides to support the development of a more inclusive workforce that is more representative of society. The initiative supports Sport England’s Uniting the Movement strategy and Surrey’s Movement for Change strategy that aims to “create more diversity in the sport and physical activity sector so it is reflective of the community it serves”. The three guides are available for disabled people, training providers and leisure operators and you can download them here: EmployAbility Leisure Guides
4th April 2022
New Walking Football at Surrey Sports Park in Guildford. Surrey FA and the NHS have a free walking football session for people with long term health conditions. Please see attached document for details.
The Westway in Caterham (formerly the Douglas Brunton Centre) has had it’s official opening on the 4th April and has a full programme of activities and social events each week. Please see the attached programme for all the information.”
10th March 2022
- New Pan Disability Football sessions in Kingston: Adult sessions every Wednesday 6.00-7.00pm at the Weir Archer Athletics and Fitness Centre on Kingston Road. Sessions are free but you need to book via www.chelseasoccerschools.co.uk . Please contact Katy if you would like support with this. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or SMS text or phone on 07434 865062
- Volunteering opportunities at a 2 day boccia competition taking place at K2 Crawley on the 19th and 20th of March. The role involves using iPads on court to time and score each boccia match. No prior knowledge of boccia is required (full training provided) and it’s a great opportunity to experience a unique Paralympic sport. All volunteers will receive lunch, refreshments, a t-shirt and travel expenses. Please contact Katy if you are interested in volunteering at this event.
- Join us on Friday in the virtual café here for more Get More Active chat!
9th March 2022
24th February 2022
Read all about Jane’s 1st parkrun in the attached article. If that inspires you to give parkrun a go – why not come along to the monthly Coalition meet up at Nonsuch parkrun on the 5th March. Contact Katy by email email@example.com or phone/SMS text on 07434 865 062 if you are interested. Join us in Friday’s café at 11.30am here for more Get More Active chat!
Sport in Mind’s new Yoga drop-in sessions continue in Farnham. Sport in Mind sessions are free and available to anyone aged 17+ experiencing a mental health issue with no need to “prove” the issue. All equipment is provided, and you do not need to have any previous experience. The sessions are fun and run by local, qualified instructors.
Time – 2pm to 3pm
Day – Thursdays
Venue – The Spire Church, South St, Farnham GU9 7QU
Walking Football for People with Long Term Health Conditions Surrey FA – Surrey FA’s Walking Football activity has been opened up to anyone with a long-term health condition from 25th February and the details can be found here:
Reminder: Sport Mental Health Survey for Sport in Mind Leatherhead – Sport in Mind delivers free sport and physical activity sessions to help people experiencing mental health issues (17+). There is work underway to develop a sports club in Leatherhead. Sport in Mind would like to find out what local sessions would be of interest near you and where. They would really value your feedback by filling in this short survey. https://forms.office.com/r/KvKbWJyQxG
15th February 2022
This is a reminder of the boccia Leaders Award course happening next week at the YMCA.
This is a great opportunity for those interested in gaining a sports qualification and some experience running our boccia club.
All the course information is below. There are limited spaces on this course, so please get in touch asap if you are interested.
10th February 2022
Get More Active Update:
- Surrey Coalition NEW Get More Active Event! Exciting news about our first group parkrun meet-up coming up on the 5th March. Join us on Friday at 11.30am here to find out more or you can contact Katy by SMS text or phone 07434 865062 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Women’s disability Football session in West London: New weekly sessions organised by Brentford FC Community Sports Trust. These sessions are for players of all abilities and will consist of fun, football technique activities as well as short games all delivered by qualified coaches.
When: Every Tuesday 11am – 12.30pm
Where: Gunnersbury Park Sports Hub, Popes Lane, W3 8LQ
To book a space, or if you have any questions, please contact Chris Tribe by email: email@example.com or phone: 07561 605507
3rd February 2022
Get More Active Update – continuing our parkrun theme for Spring you can read all about Claudia’s parkrun story in the attached document. Join us here on Friday at 11.30am for more discussion about getting more active!
Sport in Mind – please see the attached timetables for February activities in Surrey, and Hampshire for those who live close to the border. Sport in Mind are the UK’s leading mental health sports charity and deliver physical activity projects in partnership with the NHS in order to aid recovery, promote mental wellbeing, improve physical health, combat social isolation and empower people to move their lives forward in a positive direction. All of their projects are:
- Can be accessed via self-referral and are open to anyone 17+ experiencing a mental health problem with no need to ‘prove’ their problem.
- Open to any ability and no requirement to have previous experience
- Run by local qualified instructors with all equipment provided.
- Run every week in the same place at the same time in locations that are easily accessible by public transport.
- Focus on fun over competition.
LimbPower – have launched a new 12-week nutrition and fitness programme to support amputees and people with limb difference to improve their overall health, fitness, and wellbeing. Places are limited. See attached flyer for details or contact Rebecca Legon by phone or SMS text 07779 080713 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
British Blind Sport – The Active At Home 2022 programme continues into February with the live week starting tonight! The programme consists of 3 parts:
- A live workout week will be held at the beginning of each month, with a different 30-minute exercise class taking place on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evenings at 6pm via zoom. Mondays class will be Strength and Tone, Tuesday will be High Intensity Interval Training or HIIT, Wednesday will be Yoga and Friday will be Pilates.
- On Thursday, an optional pre-recorded session will be available to stream via the BBS YouTube channel. The sessions will be hosted by two new providers and will involve a variety of different activities.
- At the end of the week, the BBS team will upload recordings of the live workouts for those who were unable to attend. The goal is to do the same class on the same day of the week, every week until the next live workout week at the start of each month. All of our pre-recorded videos are available on our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BritishBlindSportOrgUK/playlists
For more information, please visit The Active At Home Programme – British Blind Sport or phone 01926 424 247
Flyerz Hockey is on this weekend (following last weeks postponement due to the cold weather) :
Sunday 30th January at 9.30am
Old Georgians Hockey Club (located in the grounds of St Georges College)
St George’s College
Contact Jo Brown if you would like to get involved: 07834 763879 or email@example.com
- Surbiton Hockey Club are running a weekly Walking Hockey session every Friday at 10am. The first session is free so why not go along and give it a try! Details are on the attached flyer below
- In the 2nd of our series on parkrun, you can find out more about volunteering at parkrun and becoming a high-vis hero! Please see our blog, or join us on Friday at 11.30am here to find out more!”
Spelthorne Parasports and Boccia clubs are back. Find out when and where the sessions are in the attached documents.
See the document below, about parkrun takeover.
Merry Christmas everyone!
Don’t forget the Y-Mania Jingle Bell Ball at the YMCA Redhill next week – details on the attached flyer.
The YMCA have two boccia qualification courses coming up in early 2022. These are a Leader’s Award – a 3 hour workshop introducing participants to the fundamentals of boccia, and an officiating qualification – a 7 hour course including some theory tests at the end. Anyone achieving either qualification will also get the chance to use their qualification by helping run the YMCA boccia club on Saturdays.
The Leader’s Award costs £30 to attend, however you can attend free of charge if you assist with the YMCA boccia club on Saturdays for a total of 5 hours once you are qualified.(Please note a DBS check will be required to assist with the club.) This is a fantastic opportunity for those interested in sport and coaching to boost their CV by gaining a qualification and get coaching experience. If you would like to join either course or find out more information, please contact Sam Lyle at the YMCA by telephoning 01737 779979 or you can contact them through Katy at Surrey Coalition (SMS or phone 07434 865062 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)”
Jingle Bell Ball! See the poster below.
- Coalition member Jane Sellers recently visited Wheels for Wellbeing in Croydon. Read all about her visit in the document below and find out how you can get involved here.
- Sport in Mind are introducing a new FREE yoga session for adults experiencing mental health issues. The weekly sessions start on the 25th November on a drop-in basis with no booking required. Sessions will run on Thursdays from 2-3pm at the Spire Church, South Street, Farnham. Please see the attached flyer for more details.
- YMCA East Surrey – Please see the attached flyer for a variety of current activities that the YMCA are running for people with disabilities. They are also aiming to set up some new goalball sessions for people with visual impairments. If you’d like to know more about the sport here is a helpful video Paralympic Sport A-Z: Goalball – YouTube. If you would like more information about the sessions when they start, please contact Katy by SMS text or phone on 07434 865062 or by emailing email@example.com
- If you are looking for a new challenge, check out The Loughborough Challenge: Launched on the 1st November this exciting new challenge is inspired by the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award for young people. The Loughborough Challenge asks you to learn something new, to take exercise and to make a social contribution. It asks you to lean against your boundaries and see what’s possible! Participation is warmly welcomed by 25-54 year olds who self-identify as experiencing issues of mental health or mental/physical impairment. More information can be found on the website Home | The Loughborough Challenge
- Join us here in the virtual café on Friday mornings at 11.30am to chat further about all things active.
- And finally, don’t forget our Winter Wonderwheels team and volunteer request. A big thank you to those who have responded so far!
Surrey Coalition needs you! Please see the attached document for details of how you can help us report on new activities that are available around the county.
We are also looking for a team of 4 to take part in the Winter Wonderwheels event on the 4th December – details in the attached document.
Get More Active chat was part of our virtual café for the first time on Friday morning last week. We had an interesting discussion about what we though was the most inclusive sport. Join in again on Friday morning at 11.30am where we will be talking about our favourite places in the county to walk, wheel or ride.
Wheelchair Basketball Opportunity – Our friends at the YMCA – East Surrey have 10 sport wheelchairs available for use at the centre. They are looking at putting on a regular wheelchair basketball session at the YMCA and are looking to find out how many people would be interested. If you’d like to get involved (no experience required!) please contact Katy by phone or SMS text on 07434865062 or email firstname.lastname@example.org so I can give an idea of numbers to the YMCA. If you’d really like to try a different wheelchair sport then please also get in touch, as the YMCA are keen to make full use of the sports chairs and have the space and facilities to develop any ideas.
Sport in Mind, the mental health charity, are running two activity sessions in Guildford. The sessions are open to anyone over 18 experiencing mental health problems. The sessions are lots of fun, for all abilities and all about getting as active as you like in a safe supportive environment. They are free drop-in sessions, so no need to book and no referral required.
Session 1: Indoor Tai Chi.
Date and time: Friday 2.30-3.30pm
Location: St. Nicolas’ Church Parish Centre, Bury Street, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 4AW (behind the church)
Session 2: Football
Date and time: Thursday 2-3pm
Location: Astro-turf Pitches ( AGP1 Pitch A), Surrey Sports Park, Richard Meyjes Rd, Guildford GU2 7AD”
Y-Mania is back! The nightclub experience for adults with disabilities at the YMCA Redhill returns for a Halloween Spooktacular on Friday 15th October from 7.30pm-10.00pm. You must book in advance and the cost is £6.00 with carers and support workers going free. You must be over 18 and ID is required. There is also a cash bar and optional Halloween fancy dress. To find out more or book a ticket please contact Sam Lyle: Telephone 01737 779979 or email email@example.com
Our friends at YMCA East Surrey have added an inclusive cricket session to their programme. Sessions are for 12-25 year olds with a disability and run every other Saturday from 11am until 12.30pm. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to get involved”Flyerz hockey new dates attached.
“The fabulous Falcon Flyerz inclusive hockey club have released session dates for the rest of the year. Call or SMS text Jo Brown on 07834 763879 or email on email@example.com to get involved”
National Fitness Day is on the 22nd September and the theme this year is “Fitness Unites Us”. What will you do to get active on the 22nd? What does fitness mean to you? Use #Fitness2Me and #FitnessDay to share your involvement or add your ideas in the comments below.
This week Katy has been looking at inclusive cycling in Surrey and the fantastic Wheels for All project. Read her blog article here.
If you would like more information or help with registering, please contact Katy by phone or SMS text on 07434 865062 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, you can join the Get More Active chat group at 2pm on Friday Click here to join
As we move to stage 4 it’s a mixed week for being physical active. On the one hand there is the excitement of being able to return to the group activities we love without restrictions, but on the other hand for many people so-called “freedom day” was anything but.
This week Katy looks at the long-awaited return of the phenomenon that is parkrun as well as investigating online options to support being active whilst staying at home. See her article here.
Join her on Friday at 2pm here for more group support and discussing how the hot weather affects being active!
There’s plenty of physical activity to get involved with this week. Check out the attached information for Flyerz hockey and the new online Wobble seated exercise classes. There is also a fantastic opportunity to have some free personal training for one month to help a trainer with their level 3 – Exercise for disability qualification.
Last week Katy visited the recently refurbished and reopened YMCA Sports and Community Centre in Redhill. Find out more about this brilliant local facility here
Woking Lawn Tennis Club have two upcoming taster sessions for wheelchair tennis and autism friendly tennis. Sessions are on the 24th July and are FREE! You can borrow equipment if necessary.
Upcoming events with Surrey Cricket
See the two fliers below for upcoming events with Surrey Cricket.
Also, Join us for more chat about all things active on Zoom on Friday at 2pm. Last week we had an interesting discussion about accessible walks in Surrey, with a little bit of history thrown in! This week we will be talking about the upcoming disability cricket days and how you can try the sport for free.
Disability Cricket Days
See document below to read about Disability cricket days coming up in June
Walking Tennis Sessions
There are a couple of free walking tennis taster sessions taking place at Ash Tennis Club on the 26th and 28th May. Participants can book a place at either of the tasters through this link: http://www.getagriptennis.co.uk/walking-tennis/
Spring into Action!
LimbPower’s supercharged ‘virtual event’ taking place throughout May and June – LimbPower is bursting with excitement to announce the incredible news that they have teamed up with five inspirational Paralympians, Richard Whitehead (Athletics), Rachel Morris, (Cycling/Rowing) Andrew Lewis (Triathlon), Corie Mapp (Bob-Sleigh) and Suzanne Rodgers (Swimming). They are all joining forces to offer a once in a lifetime fun event where you compete with the Paralympian team leaders during an engaging virtual alternative to the Family Fun Day.
Team Captain themes:
Richard Whitehead – Run like the wind
Andy Lewis – Take to the Road
Rachel Morris – Make Waves
Corie Mapp – Feel the speed
Susie Rogers – Dive right in
LimbPower is inviting community members, family, friends and supporters to join their favourite Paralympian on LimbPower’s supercharged ‘virtual event’ – Spring into Action! This is the replacement event for the Family Fun day normally held at Stoke Mandeville Stadium. ‘Spring into Action’ invites you, your friends and your family to sign up for a physical challenge of your choice this May, this can be a daily challenge or on a single day, the choice is yours. You can choose your challenge using one of the below themes.
How you can get involved
- Register via Eventbrite using this link https://springintoaction1.eventbrite.co.uk
- Share the Spring into Action virtual event via email and social media with your community.
- Dream up an activity that suits your skills (and follows government guidelines on exercise and social distancing); it can be as ‘out there’ as you like! You can walk every day, do the couch to 5K, organise an exercise class with your friends, run a 10K or walk around your garden.
- Film a video of you in portrait format talking about/demonstrating your chosen challenge and send it to us at this email address: email@example.com.
- Let us know by responding to this email if you would be willing to do media interviews relating to Spring into Action.
Registration fees: £18 for adults and £10 for children. All participants will receive a welcome letter from their team captain, a medal and a certificate for taking part.